What is Robotics and Mechatronics
What does Robotics and Mechatronics mean?
Robotic systems combine mechanical, electrical, and software components to perform a desired function. Accordingly, the design and analysis of robotic systems requires expertise that spans multiple disciplines. Exponent’s diverse technical team lets us quickly design, construct, or analyze robotic systems for various applications. Our consultants s have led, or contributed to, the design and development of a wide range of robotics systems including military robots for inspection and surveillance, medical surgical robots, and automated test frames. Exponent has also consulted to government agencies, robot developers and users, and in legal settings on issues of risk mitigation, regulatory compliance, and standards development.
Mechatronics integrates electronics, controls, and computers in the design of high performance systems. Most modern products - automobiles, household appliances, printers, hard-disk drives, surgical tools, to name a few - embody numerous 'intelligent' or 'smart' features enabled by mechatronics.
Exponent has specific project experience and in-house expertise in the following areas of robotics:
- Analysis of robotic system safety and accident reconstruction
- Electromechanical systems design and analysis
- Kinematics and dynamics modelling
- Static and dynamic structural analyses
- Controller design and implementation
- Robot sensing and navigation algorithms
- Machine learning and automated classification
- Computer vision analysis and image processing
- Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR)
- Platform locomotion and terrain interactions
- Power systems selection, optimization, and performance analysis
- Battery system evaluation and failure analysis
- Human-machine interface and various control schema
- Haptics systems development and analysis
- User study design and implementation
- Radio selection and electromagnetic interference (EMI) /electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) analysis.